While learning about the difference between Microsoft Office 2019 vs 365, let’s begin with learning what all versions offer and what are their features.
What is Office 2019?
Office 2019 is currently the latest standalone version of Microsoft’s most popular suite of office applications. It is a traditional office suite that comes with famous Microsoft apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote. Although, they have come a long way not but Microsoft Office still lacks the latest features like the cloud and AI support.
Nevertheless, Microsoft Excel journey is one of the most interesting journeys so far among all the apps in the Microsoft suite.
Features of Office 2019
- A combo of all new and classic lovable features which helps you take your office productivity to the next level.
- Microsoft office suite apps depending on your Office 2019 product variant- Core apps (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); App for email capability and contact management (Outlook); Powerful note-taking application (OneNote); Information Management App (Access) and Page layout App (Publisher).
- Comes in various variants- Office Home and Student, Office Home and Business, Office Standard, Office Professional, Office Professional Plus.
- One-time purchase and Lifetime validity.
- Provides frequent stability and security updates, though no feature updates.
- 5 years of mainstream support but no tech support beyond installation.
What is Office 365?
Update: The Office 365 products will no more be branded as “Office 365” but rather it will be rebranded to “Microsoft 365” and the name was made effective from April 21, 2020.
Office 365 (now called as Microsoft 365) is the subscription-based service from Microsoft which offers the same suite of famous Microsoft apps like that in Office 2019 but with some add on features and services. Cloud and AI support is among the most talked about feature from all of them.
Office 365 or Microsoft 365 constantly gives you feature and software updates with which your system will always be up to date.
Features of Office 365 or Microsoft 365
- Don’t need to pay upfront i.e. you can spread out the cost.
- It offers Office Online web-based access to the core Office applications like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Office 365 or Microsoft 365 allows you to install Office on 5 PCs or Macs, 5 tablets or 5 mobile devices.
- Free monthly credits to call via skype.
- Office 365 or Microsoft 365 offers all Microsoft office suite apps irrespective of the product you subscribe to including web-based apps and services like Teams, Stream, Yammer, etc.
- Comes in various variants- Microsoft 365 Family, Microsoft 365 Personal, Microsoft 365 Business Basic, Microsoft 365 Business Standard, Microsoft 365 Business Premium.
- All Office 365 or Microsoft 365 plans include 1TB of Cloud Storage, web-based apps and unique AI features like “PowerPoint Designers”.
- Continuous monthly updates to new features, frequent stability, and security updates.
- Provides mainstream and full tech support until the subscription period.
Comparison Chart of Microsoft Office 2019 vs 365
|Feature||Office 365 or Microsoft 365||Office 2019|
|Purchase type||Monthly or Annually Subscription-based||One-time purchase|
|Validity||Depends on the subscribed product||Lifetime|
|License Type||Subscription||Depending on the product, Standard or open (charged up-gradation)|
|Installations||Depending on the product, Office 365 can be installed on 5 PCs or 5 Macs, 5 tablets and 5 mobile devices||Depending on the product, Office 2019 can be installed on 1 PC or Mac|
|Compatibility||Windows 7 and up|
Mac OS 10.10 and up
|Windows 10 and up|
Mac OS 10.12 and upFew versions can be installed on Windows-based system only
|MS Office Suite||All core traditional apps in any product||Depending on the product, the range of apps are available|
|Cloud storage||1 TB per user for 5 users||×|
|Skype minutes||60 minutes per user for 5 users||×|
|Cloud-based apps||√ (Teams, Stream, Yammer, etc.)||×|
|AI-based features||√ (e.g. PowerPoint Designers)||×|
|Multiple device connectivity||√||×|
It is clear that Microsoft wants everybody to opt for Office 365 or Microsoft 365. The reason majorly being that it is easy for Microsoft to give updates through this online version. Also, it is difficult for anyone who wants the latest version of the software in his system all the time using cracked versions of the software. It is also true that anyone can achieve better business outcomes if they are using the modern productivity tool and using the cloud to access the documents via any logged-in device.
Now, do you know why Microsoft Excel and Power BI are two of the best tools provided by Microsoft? Again, why there is a need to learn both of these tools?
LOOKING FOR TRAINING ON Excel & Power Point? PLEASE CONNECT AT PARTNER@EDU4SURE.COM OR CALL 95.5511.5533