What is Remote Working?
A working style that allows employees to work outside of the traditional office environment is Remote Working. People choose to work in a way that makes the most sense for their lives. It is based on the concept that a specific workplace or environment is not a prerequisite for an employee to fulfill his/her professional demands.
Thus, instead of traveling to and fro to an office each day to work from an allotted desk and system, Remote Work employees can work from wherever they are comfortable.
How did remote working emerge?
Because adequate technology didn’t exist until recently, there was a time when remote work was out of the question. Today, technology has enabled us the ability to get similar tasks done, no matter where in the world we are. All professionals can manage to be in contact with co-workers and clients at any time.
- GlobalWorkplaceAnalytics.com data depicts that regular work-at-home, i.e. the non-self-employed population, has grown by 173% since 2005, which is 11% faster than the rest of the workforce.
- Remote work is a desirable trait to be offered by an employer. 57% of the employees say that the option of remote work is their most preferable employment perk.
- In a study conducted by com, about the state of remote work in 2019, 99% of the interviewees reported that they would like to be able to work off-site at least once in their career.
- Investment company Betterment estimates that about 33% of remote workers are freelancers. This roughly translates to about 1 in 3 of the remote workforce.
These enormous figures prove that remote work is now immensely popular.
Until recently, India lagged behind many other countries in supporting a remote working culture. However, if recent studies are any indicator, it appears those times are changing.
- A recent study by global research company IPSOS found that 57 percent of Indian employees telecommute quite frequently and nearly one-third work remotely every day.
Remote workers are very likely to recommend remote work to their friends and family. Considering this fact we firmly believe that Remote Working is not just yet another fading trend of the world.
Why do people work remotely?
Remote workers have the freedom to set their schedules so that they can work whenever they are the most productive and/or creative. Some remote employees even go on to leave their traditional work routines and lifestyle behind and globe-trot to open their minds and hearts to new experiences, achieve greater understanding, and expand their professional network into a global community while continuing to remote work.
How do people work remotely?
There are several numbers of ways in which people can work remotely. That is exactly what professionals consider the beauty of remote work.
For example, some people might work remotely for most of the week and commute to the office only for in-person meetings. Usually, remote workers work from home but depending on the circumstances and the environment at home, they might rely on co-working spaces to be the spots where they get the job done.
Co-working spaces: these are halfway point between a traditional office and a non-traditional workspace. They combine the comfort of working from home with the professional amenities and networking opportunities of a corporate workplace. They are created to bring forth and be the hub of technology, community, collaboration, productivity, learning, and sustainability.
Not only do co-working spaces provide a place to work but they also offer many perks. For example, space which includes workout spaces, food services, conference rooms, and other such amenities. Workers can utilize such spaces to meet various professionals and build connections with people working in several work fields.
The benefits and challenges of remote working would be discussed further in upcoming blogs.